Tel: 021 703 3775

Fable Mountain Vineyards • Tulbagh • Tremayne Smith

Fable Mountain Vineyards Jackal Bird White 2014

Western Cape

Chenin Blanc (Swartland), Chardonnay (Elgin), Rousanne, Viognier and Grenache Blanc (Voor Paardeberg).

41% Chenin Blanc, 18% Grenache Blanc; 17% Chardonnay 14% Viognier; and 10% Roussanne

12 months on lees. 70% fermented and matured in 500l Oak barrel, remaining 30% is fermented and aged in concrete eggs.

It is pale straw in colour. On the nose there are inviting and intriguing floral aromas mingling with honey, white
peach, pear and citrus. On the palate crisp minerality and stone fruit show with pithy textural core.

The finish is subtle and lingering, fresh and elegant with unravelling layers.

Drink now or cellar for 5 years.

Named after a bird of prey that can often be seen catching the thermals high above the Fable farm, the Jackal Bird is a wine that uses the famous South African old vine Chenin Blanc as a foundation and augments it with aromatic and textural Southern Rhône cultivars. This wine is essentially a winemakers wine, as it is all about the blend but vineyards sites are
important and we source our grapes from areas where each variety grows best. We not only get different components for the blend because of the different characteristics of the cultivars and sites but also from the winemaking techniques in the cellar. We use
oxidative and reductive approaches, cold soak skin contact, and solids and clean ferments. No yeasts are ever added to any ferment and the wines spend the majority of the year on their lees. We also use a variety of vessels: 500l Oak barrels, Nomblot concrete egg tanks and some stainless steel. We aim for a fruit driven wine, that is supported by a more savoury solids and skin contact carrier as well as a little oak and lots of complexity.

2013 Vintage 92/100 Wine Advocate
2013 Vintage Platter’s SA Wines

To Stock These Wines ↑

Call us on 021 703 3775 or Email Us and we will arrange for your area Wine Merchant to contact you for a tasting of these wines before you stock them.